The Caravan Studios Internship Program offers students a combination of practical real world experience, formal and informal mentoring activities, and opportunities to develop networking and community-building skills. This is an unpaid internship, however we offer a unique and well-rounded internship experience that provides excellent hands-on experience in a supportive and dynamic nonprofit environment.
The business development intern will contribute to our Worker Connect Project. Worker Connect is a mechanism for migrant construction workers to learn about their rights, share information about their experiences, and provide anonymous feedback to worker welfare supervisors
About Caravan Studios
Caravan Studios is a division of TechSoup, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in San Francisco, CA. We build apps that help communities organize, access, and apply local resources to their most pressing problems. Our design thinking methodology includes community input throughout, ensuring that the developed applications meet the needs of the community.
The business development intern will work as a part of the Worker Connect project team rolling out tools in the Middle East to promote worker welfare in the construction industry. Internship responsibilities include:
- Support the project team in market analysis, business model development and social impact modeling
- Conduct market research, risk analysis, and cost-benefit analysis of potential product offerings
- Help champion industry needs to the product development team
- Assist in the development of marketing materials
- Help maintain a business development and partnership pipeline
- Strong analytical, business judgment and problem-solving ability
- 1-5 years of business or management experience
- A love of learning and desire to work in a fast-paced, community-driven environment
- A Master's degree or equivalent, in Business, Finance, Economics, Marketing and Sales, or Management, or similar field
- Bachelor's degree plus professional / relevant research experience will be considered
- Experience conducting market research and business plans
- Detailed financial and business modeling skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Passion for social impact in the business sector
- Ability to clearly organize and synthesize research results
- Excellent writing, presentation and analytical skills
Other Desired Qualifications
- Familiarity with the construction or engineering industry
- Experience managing or working with Corporate Social Responsibility teams
- All interns should be enrolled in a college class or program where the work described above matches the student’s academic pursuit or area of study.
- Student should have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B or better); and ideally will be receiving academic credit for the internship.
- 20 – 40 hours per week; exact weekly schedule to be defined
- In the Caravan Studios office (San Francisco) at least 1-2 days per week. Depending on the intern, some of this work can be accomplished remotely
- Minimum 3 month commitment
- Start date ASAP
- Gain hands-on experience in program development and implementation at a small innovative nonprofit organization
- Develop portfolio examples to share with future employers
- Access to extensive national nonprofit and technologist network
- Develop community engagement skills
- Access to innovative ideas/products
Submit cover letter, resume and writing sample to Mary Duffy, Director of Educational Programs, Caravan Studios.