About Caravan Studios
Caravan Studios is a division of TechSoup, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in San Francisco, CA. We build apps that help communities organize, access, and apply local resources to their most pressing problems. Our design thinking methodology includes community input throughout, ensuring that the developed applications meet the needs of the community.
This internship is geared for individuals who are interested in developing and expanding their knowledge in research and planning for the social good. Interns will be introduced to our design methodology which includes community input throughout the design and development process. Our use of community centered design methodology ensures that the tools we build will best meet the specific needs of the community served.
The intern’s work will focus on exploring geographic and political regions where Caravan Studios tools and resources can be best utilized. The process includes analyzing and researching community needs and existing services in the area of domestic violence and human trafficking.
The research completed and the documents produced will guide our work in the use and distribution of our apps, programs and services. It will also inform the development of new and/or existing programs and service that are in demand among community members.
All interns should be enrolled in a college class or program where the work described above matches the student’s academic pursuit or area of study. Student should have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B or better); and ideally will be receiving academic credit for the internship.
Research topics that inform and strengthen team assumptions regarding apps and their use and application in the identified community. As part of that work students would be asked to:
- Research and analyze existing data to find and map organizations and communities who can best utilize Caravan resources.
- Gather materials and data for various projects and reports; write summaries of project findings as requested.
- Assist with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Perform qualitative analysis and/or quantitative analyses of data, using computer software as applicable.
- Verify the accuracy and validity of information gathered.
- Produce tables, graphs, fact sheets, maps and written reports summarizing research results.
- Edit and submit protocols and other required research documentation.
- Research topical areas as requested including the completion of comprehensive literature and web searches.
- Planning work will focus on the recruitment, communication and support of the communities who will be utilizing our tools and services. Examples for tasks and assignment include:
- Support community introductory sessions highlighting Caravan products, processes and services.
- Contribute to training and support materials for distribution in print and online format.
- Communicate with and engage the community through social media channels and campaigns.
- Facilitate community support/focus groups for organizations utilizing our tools and services.
Skill and Experience Needed
- Excellent writing, analytical, communication, and research skills
- Detail-oriented and highly-organized
- Ability to meet deadlines, work collaboratively and manage several projects at once
- Extensive research experience; knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative strategies
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills
- Ability to represent Caravan Studios and TechSoup Global in a professional manner
- 2-3 days per week during the school year; full-time during the summer
- Remote access may be possible for some activities as appropriate and effective
- Minimum of 3 month internship; optimally 6 – 9 month
- College credit or field placement hours available to qualified students
- Access to extensive nonprofit and technologist network
- Further develop applicable research and planning skills
- Participate in an innovative internship where students can broaden their knowledge, skills and experience to effectively utilize tools for social good
- Work with a dynamic and enthusiastic team committed to the work and the mission of the organization, as well as to supporting and engaging interns in our efforts
- Develop Portfolio examples to share with future employers
- Access to technologically innovative ideas/products
This is an unpaid internship
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Mary Duffy, Director of Educational Programs, Caravan Studios