Legal Counsel/Senior Counsel, NGOSource
For U.S. roles, TechSoup only hires from the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico,New York,Ohio,Oklahoma,Oregon,Pennsylvania,South Carolina, Tennessee,Texas,Utah,Virginia,Washington, Wisconsin
We believe in using technology for the greater good.
We’re a fully remote, diverse team, working from all parts of the world. We invite you to join us in our mission to build a dynamic bridge that leverages technology to enable connections and innovative solutions for a more equitable planet.
TechSoup is a global nonprofit social enterprise that connects NGOs with mission-critical resources worldwide. For over 30 years, we’ve been building partnerships with individuals, corporations, nonprofits, and governments across the globe. Together, we are committed to helping organizations grow via our unifying technology platform, resources, and connections. Those organizations, in turn, build a brighter future for tens of millions of people. We serve both the smallest and largest nonprofits around the world through sustainable, low-cost, self-service offers delivered at scale. To date, we have enabled more than 1.4 million organizations in over 230 countries and territories receive technology tools, resources, and funding with a retail value of more than $19.1 billion. We are constantly evolving.
As technology and global needs change, so do we. We’re creating new, community-driven platforms and mobile apps and are enhancing our offerings so that nonprofits have the resources they need to build a brighter future for their communities.
We’re innovators, leaders, influencers, social entrepreneurs, and technologists drawn together by a shared vision: to make the world a better place through technology. Join our global team.
About the Team
NGOsource, a project of the Council on Foundations and TechSoup, is an online equivalency determination (ED) service for US funders who make international grants. It offers a unique centralized repository of EDs for NGOs and governments located in more than 160 countries. NGOsource provides ED services to over 600 grantmaker members and other organizations who are interested in this elite level of grantmaking compliance. NGOsource’s membership includes nine of the ten largest international grantmakers in the US and 18 of the largest 20, as well as donor advised funds, community foundations, corporate foundations, and others.
About the Role
Legal/Senior Counsel at NGOsource is principally focused on researching and drafting equivalency determination legal opinions. As part of a dynamic team of lawyers, operations managers, and technical experts, the legal counsel provides advice to non-U.S. NGOs undergoing equivalency, communicates with grantmaker members on status of reviews, and coordinates across the team at NGOsource and TechSoup to deliver a first-class legal service focused on the needs of non-governmental organizations around the world. The legal/Senior Counsel role reports to Senior Counsel at TechSoup.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal/SeniorCounsel will be responsible for
- Drafting equivalency determinations for NGOsource on a full-time basis
- Reviewing and analyzing governing documents and supporting statements provided by non-U.S. NGOs
- Drafting formal legal opinions regarding each organization’s public charity equivalency status, in conformity with U.S. tax law.
- Conducting legal research
- Working with non-U.S. NGOs and partners, U.S. grantmakers, and internal staff to explain legal issues of relevance to foreign public charity equivalency
- Providing or participating in the development of educational content in the form of blogs, webinars, and/or speaking engagements.
Please note that this position may only be filled by an attorney currently licensed to practice law in a state, territory, or possession of the U.S.
In addition, the candidate must have the following qualities:
- At least one year of experience at law firm, nonprofit organization, or in-house in a position that included contract review and legal analysis
- Contract experience
- Must possess strong attention to detail
- Excellent legal writing skills, particularly legal arguments, opinions, and/or research memorandums
- Ability to work under pressure and adherence to deadlines
- Hard working and respectful of differences in other cultures, languages, and contexts
- Interest in international issues and NGOs
- Any foreign language skill is a plus
Candidates who have related experience not falling into these categories are welcome to apply, explaining in their cover letter why the experience is valuable background for this position.
- Promote Trust: We listen to and learn from each other. We practice openness, collaboration, fairness, and sharing for the greater benefit of all.
- Show Courage: We step forward to create an open dialogue about complex issues and work together to forge ahead.
- Be Resourceful: We are problem solvers and constantly aim to find creative solutions to get the job done.
- Strive for an Equitable Planet: We are devoted to fostering respect, inclusion, and tolerance.
- Be Relevant: As global citizens in the changing landscape, we strive to better serve our communities, our colleagues and stakeholders, and the world at large.
- Inspire: We innovate and find new ways to create impact, to inspire, and to engage others.
TechSoup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The base salary range for this full-time remote position is $70,000-$113,000 plus benefits. TechSoup determines salary ranges based on role, level, and location. The range reflects the minimum and maximum targets for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Individual pay is determined by location and other factors, including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, business needs, and market demands. TechSoup offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, retirement, and other perks.