Network Systems Engineer
Full time- Non exempt
We believe in using technology for the greater good.
We’re a fully remote, diverse team, working from all parts of the world. We invite you to join us in our mission to build a dynamic bridge that leverages technology to enable connections and innovative solutions for a more equitable planet.
TechSoup is a global nonprofit social enterprise that connects NGOs with mission-critical resources worldwide. For over 30 years, we’ve been building partnerships with individuals, corporations, nonprofits, and governments across the globe. Together, we are committed to helping organizations grow via our unifying technology platform, resources, and connections. Those organizations, in turn, build a brighter future for tens of millions of people. We serve both the smallest and largest nonprofits around the world through sustainable, low-cost, self-service offers delivered at scale. To date, we have enabled more than 1.4 million organizations in over 230 countries and territories receive technology tools, resources, and funding with a retail value of more than $19.1 billion. We are constantly evolving.
As technology and global needs change, so do we. We’re creating new, community-driven platforms and mobile apps and are enhancing our offerings so that nonprofits have the resources they need to build a brighter future for their communities.
We’re innovators, leaders, influencers, social entrepreneurs, and technologists drawn together by a shared vision: to make the world a better place through technology. Join our global team.
About the Role
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support, administer, maintain, and improve network and server infrastructure
- Provide 2nd level support to staff members for issues escalated by the helpdesk.
- Provide direct network, server and infrastructure support to teams within the IT Department (QA, Release, and Application Development).
- Build, document and maintain servers per various project requirements and specifications.
- Update, maintain and create documentation for key network and server infrastructure components.
- Participate in network and infrastructure projects that improve the stability and efficiency of the environment and facilitate the implementation of new technologies.
- Evaluate new systems and tools, provide analysis and make recommendations.
- Participate in Information Security initiatives.
- Monitor, report and act on security incidents according to company policy.
- Manage and maintain Data Center and corporate office infrastructure.
- Support cloud-based telecommunications systems
- Provide on-call support when necessary to support critical infrastructure.
- Support IT Infrastructure needs to grant projects, especially related to cybersecurity and data security, and participate in special projects, as needed
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Infrastructure systems development, planning, implementation.
- Proven technical and analytical skills with infrastructure systems environments and protocols. A firm understanding of Microsoft Windows Server 2008-2019, Windows 10 and MacOS operating systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of security best practices for networks and server systems.
- Useful and appropriate knowledge of enterprise technology infrastructure areas including:
- LAN/WAN and Wireless, DNS, DHCP
- Email systems
- Windows operating systems and Active Directory
- Non-windows operating systems (Linux, Mac)
- Cloud infrastructure systems such as AWS, Azure, GCP
- Internet/Web technologies (HTML, ASP, etc.)
- Virtualization technologies
- SAN/Storage technologies
- Backup technologies and best practices
- Database technologies (MySQL, MS SQL).
- DevOps practices and frameworks
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with management, peers and vendors.
- Proven technical and analytical skills with infrastructure systems environments and protocols.
- A complete understanding of Microsoft Windows Server 2008-2019, Windows 10/11 and MacOS operating systems.
- Solid network, enterprise server, email and phone system troubleshooting and support skills.
- Hands-on experience with Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and WAF
- Corporate Wi-Fi, Wireless LAN controllers, Cisco and Meraki AP
- Cloud platforms AWS, Azure and Office 365
- Azure AD and on-prem Active Directory
- Exchange Online, hybrid Exchange 2010
- VMware ESX Server and Virtual Center
- User device management through cloud MDM (Intune)
- Cloud based VOIP systems (RingCentral)
- Cloud based backup and data protection products.
- Information security tools
- Proven system and network documentation skills.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to quickly solve complex problems related to network connectivity, server performance, and client system performance.
- Interact in a persuasive and professional manner with a wide variety of people.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of technology standards and procedures. Ability to integrate these standards and procedures into technical solutions.
- Structured approach to problem solving; good organizational skills; ability to lead and motivate individuals with different abilities and aptitudes; ability to think clearly and make decisions quickly; ability to respond with logical and creative solutions to issues.
- Ability to work independently when required.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team/group setting.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or 6+ years of experience with system operations and support, implementation and management of information resources concentrated in Infrastructure Systems Support, including Local Area Networks, enterprise servers, messaging systems and phone systems.
- Prolonged desk duties to include telephone or headset and keyboard duties.
- Willingness and capacity to work in a cubicle environment at a workstation and to come and go repeatedly throughout the day as is necessary to perform various responsibilities.
- Capacity to communicate and enunciate adequately, in person or via telephone, in a manner that can be understood by those with whom the employee is speaking.
- Willingness and capacity to sit or stand for minimum periods of two hours at a time.
- Capacity to reach forward to a high of 48 inches, to a low of 15 inches, to the side 54 inches, and to the low side 9 inches above the floor.
- Ability to lift and move up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to install hardware and to change settings, devices, fixtures, etc. on various equipment used in and around TechSoup.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to various components of an office environment such as florescent lighting, pollen, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, VDTs, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures, and office noise.
Please select this position’s primary location (Select only one)
- Promote Trust: We listen to and learn from each other. We practice openness, collaboration, fairness, and sharing for the greater benefit of all.
- Show Courage: We step forward to create an open dialogue about complex issues and work together to forge ahead.
- Be Resourceful: We are problem solvers and constantly aim to find creative solutions to get the job done.
- Strive for an Equitable Planet: We are devoted to fostering respect, inclusion, and tolerance.
- Be Relevant: As global citizens in the changing landscape, we strive to better serve our communities, our colleagues and stakeholders, and the world at large.
- Inspire: We innovate and find new ways to create impact, to inspire, and to engage others.
TechSoup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
The Pay range for this remote position is $81k - $120k. TechSoup determines salary/hourly pay ranges based on role, level, and location. The range reflects the minimum and maximum targets for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Individual pay is determined by location and other factors, including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, business needs, and market demands. TechSoup offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, retirement, and other perks.